Monday 25 November 2013

Plantain Nachos with re-fried beans and cottage cheese

Nachos has always been a favourite snack when I am out with my friends. Therefore as I took the decision to avoid gluten, I was keen to recreate this without the nacho chips. On holiday in Cuba, my friends and I fell in love with Plantain and living in Brixton where plantain is readily available, I thought I would give this classic a makeover.



Ingredients


  • 1 plantain, thinly sliced.
  • 1 TSP smoked paprika
  • 1/2 can of black beans
  • 1 TSP Cumin powder
  • 1 TSP Hot Chili Powder
  • 1 TSP corainder powder
  • 1 garlic minced
  • Chopped tomato
  • Chili powder
  • Cottage cheese

  1. Tossed the sliced plantain in the smoked paprika and olive oil. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes on 200 degrees.
  2. Heat the minced garlic in olive oil in heavy based pan. Once the garlic begins to brown, add the black beans. Gently heat these for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add a few tablespoons of water and the cumin powder, chili powder and coriander. As the beans start to soften, use a potato masher to mash and continue to fry for another 5 minutes. Take off the heat after this.
  3. To make the salsa heat the chopped tomato with chili powder.
  4. Now arrange the nachos - do this by taking the nachos out the oven and topping with re-fried beans, salsa and a dollop of cottage cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment